Sharpen your writing skills and build a portfolio during this remote creative writing internship
You’ll be part of a Cape Town based organisation that runs reforestation, urban greening, and reforestation programs across Southern and East Africa. You’ll be a vital part of the team by creating online content about current sustainability and environmental issues.
This is a great opportunity for anyone keen to develop their writing skills in a professional environment, while keeping the flexibility of working from home. It will also give great insight into the nonprofit and environmental sectors. As a creative writing intern, you’ll develop skills in the following areas:
- Creative writing
- Digital marketing
- Strategic communications
|Min. 4 Weeks|
Sharpen your writing skills and build a portfolio during this remote creative writing internship. You’ll be part of a Cape Town based organisation that runs forest restoration, urban greening, sustainable development, and environmental art projects across Southern and East Africa. You’ll be a vital part of the team by creating online content about current sustainability and environmental issues. This is a great opportunity for anyone keen to develop their writing skills in a professional environment, while keeping the flexibility of working from home. It will also give great insight into the nonprofit and environmental sectors.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
During this remote creative writing internship, you’ll be creating content on a number of digital platforms. Greenpop cultivates an active online community by putting out a regular flow of information on its tree planting and eco-education programs, as well as on environmental and sustainability issues in general. As a creative writing intern, you’ll assist in this content creation in a variety of ways.
What you’ll do
- Writing web content and blog posts
- Writing newsletters and press releases
- Assisting with social media posts
- When relevant, writing content for reports and grant applications
The requirements for applicants for this remote creative writing internship are;
- Strong English writing skills
- Some experience in content writing
- Knowledge of WordPress is an advantage
- Ability to work well independently
- Good online research skills
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
As this is a remote internship, you’ll have the flexibility to work from your own home! Should you want to spend part of your internship in Cape Town, this is an option too; the set up is flexible and up to you.
DATES & RATES
The start dates for this internship are flexible; we will discuss the options with you during the application process.
Fixed fee USD 375
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Troubleshooting if needed.
Personal Development Sessions
Workshop: Exploring the Nonprofit Landscape
|Min. 4 Weeks|
WHAT THEY’RE SAYING
”My tasklist was very diverse at all times. I started off putting together Newsletters and researching green news from all over the world. Then I went on to writing for Greenpop's blog, which included research work and other creative skills like taking or choosing the right picture and putting together a layout. Also I was involved as a facilitator at school camps and workshops and got to work with people on the field instead of sitting in the office the whole time. The biggest project I got to work on was some new pages for my organization's website, something I had never done before.Jan-Niclas, Germany(Remote) Creative Writing Internship, Cape Town
This internship has opened my eyes to a new creative world. I was always stuck on the path of writing and was planning to go on to either study something in the environmental field or become a writer. But through this, I realized that that's not necessarily what I'm supposed to do and so I applied for a program which is all about language in the marketing industry and about designing campaigns and creating ads, etc. Without this internship, I wouldn't even have thought about doing this but now I can't be more excited.
- Gain practical experience in copywriting, digital marketing, and strategic communications
- Contribute to a charity on a mission to plant trees, green communities and empower environmental stewards across Sub-Saharan Africa
- Develop your creative writing, strategic communications, and research skills
- Gain a full insight in the day to day running of a nonprofit organisation
- Live and work comfortably from home
How to apply?
If you’d like to apply for this remote writing internship, follow these steps:
- Fill in the Application form and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat with you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the placement fee, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your internship.
- Only once we receive payment of the placement fee, your internship will be confirmed.