NGO Internship Event Coordinator, Cape Town
Get hands-on events production experience at a fast-growing environmental NGO
Are you a problem solver, who likes multitasking and seeing it all come together? Then check out this NGO Internship Event Coordinator with Greenpop. It’s a dynamic environmental organisation in Cape Town that runs tree planting and eco-education projects in Southern Africa. They activate large groups of people to get involved in their green mission while (re)connecting them to the planet. Greenpop has a lot of events ranging from a stall at a show to being the greening partner for festivals. From one music night to a three week Festival of Action. You will experience the organizational and logistics preparations for a Greenpop event while being part of a high-energy team.
“There are often a lot of different tasks coming up and you have to try to adapt and solve the “problems” efficiently. Sometimes it’s not easy to solve a problem quickly. You have to step out of your comfort zone in order to solve it, but these are the moments where you grow, develop and get better!”
- Destination Cape Town, South Africa
- Type of Organisation Environmental NGO
- Work Focus Events production, Coordination, Planning
- Length of Internship Minimum 8 weeks
- Accommodation Choice of several types
- Fee As from USD 1,491 for 8 weeks
A Little Bit About Greenpop
Greenpop is a Cape Town based environmental NGO that runs urban greening, reforestation, and eco-education projects in Southern and East Africa. And they do it with a difference; they make it fun, accessible, and valuable for everyone involved. While planting trees is an important and very beneficial activity, Greenpop believes that unless communities are actively involved in and incentivised by the process, no lasting environmental change is possible. To date, Greenpop has planted over 66,000 trees – and activated thousands of people in the process.
Greenpop also represents a way of life. The energy and passion cultivated through Greenpop spreads far and wide with each new treevolutionary that joins the team. While the team works hard and focus on tasks at hand, they also know how to have fun, and create a quirky working environment. Greenpop’s aim is to create an ethical and green standard that resonates with all involved and helps create a fun and enjoyable working environment.
The Greenpop teams loves having a team of interns contribute their different skill sets. It’s partly because of interns and volunteers that the organisation has managed to grow as quickly as it has, and the team is appreciative for everyone’s time and input. Greenpop generally has between five and ten interns in our office, adding a multinational and multicultural element to its team.
During an Events Production internship at Greenpop, you’ll be sure to get your hands dirty. Regardless of your area of focus, you’ll take part in occasional planting projects and days at our nursery and eco-education hub, so that you’ll get a full experience of what Greenpop all about.
A few things to know about interning with Greenpop:
- You do not receive a salary or stipend for these work placements.
- There’s a minimum length of two months.
- Internships are full-time, mainly during office hours. Greenpop regularly organizes and/or attends events that will take place in the weekend or evenings. As a member of the Greenpop team you are expected to be willing to assist on these events as well.
What You’ll Be Doing
Greenpop has a lot of events ranging from a small stall at a congress to being the greening partner for festivals, from a music event to a three week Festival of Action. This requires a lot of organization with regards to logistics, coordination with partners, sponsors, suppliers, artists, etc. As an intern with Greenpop you can be involved in a variety of tasks:
- Serve as liaison with vendors, artists and partners on event-related matters: dealing with contracts, set-up instructions, accreditation, etc.
- Book catering, crew, beverages, event signs, flights, accommodation and vehicles
- Assist on keeping track of event finances including quote requests, invoicing, and reporting.
- Administrative and coordination support: production planning, volunteer and transport planning, event time tables, accommodation schedule, etc.
- Works on logistics around an event, e.g. collecting materials from storage or suppliers and coordinating shipment of materials to and from events
- Assist with set-up, strike and managing on-site production and cleanup for events as necessary.
- Manage storage of all events materials (incl. administration)
- Assist with event marketing and communication activities (f.e. direct mailing)
- All interns with Greenpop assist with office support, workshops, plant days and eco-hub open days.
NB. Please note that the internship is based on a volunteer work placement, so you are not receiving any payment or stipend.
Check out this video of Greenpop’s Festival of Action.
Where You’ll Stay
Your accommodation is included in the internship fee, and we’ll arrange it all for you! We’re excited to offer a variety of options, ranging from dorm rooms to twin and single rooms. The options available depend on your internship period, but we’ll always make sure you’re in a comfortable, central, and safe place. Please get in touch to find out what options are available during your preferred period.
For this Event Coordinator Internship, Greenpop is looking for people with he following skills and experience:
- Multitasking, time management, hands on mentality and being on top of things since you are dealing with lots of different people (suppliers, artists, partners, etc.). Take responsibility!
- Must be able to anticipate project needs, problem solving under pressure, focus on work priorities and meet deadlines with little supervision.
- Willing to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Preferably have a driver’s license and willing to drive around in Cape Town.
- Preferably have experience in events (or school camps/scouting camps/etc) and/or organizing and planning.
- Ideally bring your own laptop.
- Seeing the nature of events organization Greenpop prefers candidates for this internship that can join them for three months or longer.
“I can’t imagine life after Greenpop, it’s going to be an adjustment to end off my internship, but I’ve learned, grew and experienced immense amounts in such a short time. My expectations of the last three months are completely blown away, never would I have guessed my heart and soul would’ve loved the work and the entire family that is Greenpop this much.”
Anri, South Africa, Events Coordinator Greenpop
How can you apply for this experience?
If you’re keen for this work placement and feel that you could make an impact with Greenpop, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat to you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the enquiry form. We’ll be happy to assist!
When can you start making an impact?
You can start your Event Coordinator Internship with Greenpop every first and third Tuesday of the month. Please keep in mind Greenpop is closed for two weeks of summer holiday at the end of the year.
At Roots, we do everything we can to make your internship experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Cape Town, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported.
Your exact fee depends on the accommodation you choose, but start at the following level:
- 8 weeks – USD 1,491
- 12 weeks – USD 1,961
- 16 weeks – USD 2,432
What is included in the fee?
- Full accommodation rental fees
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- On the ground support during your stay
- A discount on weekend activities, exclusive to Roots interns
What is not included in the fee?
- Flights to Cape Town
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Academic Guidance Apart from the logistical support we offer, and regular check-ins, we also offer additional academic guidance during your internship. At an additional fee of USD 75 a month, you’ll receive monthly sessions with a local lecturer, who will support you in placing your work experience in the context of your academic course, and assist you with any report writing and/or research you’re required to do.