Expand your medical skills and help improve the health and nutrition of this Peruvian community to ensure an active and healthy life.
Immerse yourself in the captivating beauty of one of Peru’s most enchanting cities while simultaneously gaining invaluable experience within a dynamic nonprofit organization. This remarkable opportunity offers you an exciting approach to social care, with a particular emphasis on the pivotal role played by the medical sector.
This program stands as an excellent gateway for medical and nursing students to not only expand their knowledge and skills but also to contribute meaningfully to the community while savoring the wonders of this picturesque city.
As an intern, your mission is to actively support the organization’s medical initiatives. Your internship organization has various departments eagerly awaiting your expertise and dedication. Your specific role will be tailored to your unique training and qualifications, which ensures that your contributions align seamlessly with the organization’s overarching mission of enhancing healthcare and social services for the local population.
- Develop proficiency in assisting doctors during physical examinations and check-ups.
- Collaborate effectively with qualified doctors and healthcare providers to gain exposure to different medical areas.
- Gain valuable communication skills for effectively interacting with patients.
This organization stands as a beacon of hope and progress in the community which is tirelessly dedicated to promoting the well-being and prosperity of all of their members. Their work is materialized through a series of innovative projects, including social services, technical training and economic empowerment to community members. Through these innovation projects, it results in a stronger and more resilient community of individuals.
At the heart of their mission and vision, PAZ Peru is governed by a set of strong values that are the moral compass of their work. Love and commitment drive every action they undertake, demonstrating that service to others is their reason for being. Proactivity leads them to constantly look for new ways to make a difference, while honesty and respect guide their relationships with everyone involved. Solidarity and justice are fundamental principles that guarantee that no one is left behind, and ethics and equity are the pillars that support its integrity and coherence at all times.
TASKS & REQUIreMENTS
You will assist in the daily operation of the organization’s medical program, which aims to improve the health and nutrition of the population to ensure an active and healthy life. The organization’s medical program provides medical services in a variety of ways including general medicine, complementary medicine, nutrition, psychology, gynecology, obstetrics, traumatology, nursing, etc.
Your role in the daily operations will be demanding, challenging and unpredictable, but also incredibly rewarding. You will also have the opportunity to specialize based on your knowledge and interests.
- Assist doctors with physical examinations and check-ups of patients.
- Manage vaccines and injections.
- Record patient history.
- Suture wounds.
- Take vital signs, check height, weight and blood pressure
- Medical campaigns in rural areas of the city.
- Qualified doctors will provide support in different areas based on their medical experience.
- You must be studying or have completed a bachelor’s degree in medicine, nursing, midwifery, dentistry, physical therapy or a related field.
- Previous experience and qualifications are required for specialized jobs.
- Intermediate knowledge of Spanish.
- Great interest in healthcare delivery in underdeveloped countries.
- Open mind and flexible attitude.
- Capacity to work under pressure.
- Availability to live and travel on certain opportunities for health campaigns, minimum commitment of 2 months, to be completed in Arequipa (not a remote position).
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
Interns stay at a local hostel right in the middle of downtown Arequipa. They stay in small apartments where they enjoy a full-sized bed, private bathroom, cable TV and a kitchenette with all they need to prepare their own meals. They also have access to free WIFI, and a weekly cleaning service is provided as well.
Safety & Support
Arequipa is generally a safe city but petty crime does occur. Avoid going out alone at night and if you need a (taxi) ride, it’s generally best to ask your host or the accommodation for a trusted taxi company.
Make sure to visit your doctor and dentist for a check-up before your internship and to get all the recommended vaccines and/or medications necessary to stay healthy. There hasn’t been a case of malaria in Peru for 20 years.
Your accommodation provides free WifI access to stay in touch with family and friends during your stay.
Meals are not included in the fees. You can prepare your own meals in your apartment. It’s also very cheap to go out for lunch or dinner. For a two course meal with a dessert and drink expect to pay between 10 to 15 soles (USD 3-5). Be on the safe side by only drinking bottled water.
You will stay in Arequipa, the capital of the region of the same name located in southern Peru. The city is considered to be one of the prettiest in Peru and is famous for its colonial architecture, white stone buildings and delicious food. It is located in the Andean mountain range, is surrounded by three volcanoes and is not far from Colca Canyon, the second deepest canyon in the world.
DATES & RATES
Start and end dates for the internship with this organization are flexible and will be discussed during the application process.
What you’ll pay (2024 rates)
8 weeks USD 1,732
12 weeks USD 2,136
16 weeks USD 2,539
20 weeks USD 2,942
24 weeks USD 3,345
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- An academic internship eligible for university credit. Check with your university to confirm if this internship qualifies for credit or alternatively we can assist you with purchasing transfer credits.
- Transfer from Rodríguez Ballón International Airport in Arequipa to your accommodation
- Accommodation at a local hostel (you’ll be in a small apartment)
- Assistance with your visa arrangement and other preparations
- An orientation program with your supervisor
- Supervision and support during your stay
- Regular check-ins during your internship with your supervisor
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- Flights to Rodríguez Ballón International Airport in Arequipa
- Visa and medical/travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Daily commute to the project (40 minutes by bus)
- Meals, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Some of our most commonly asked questions for programs in Peru.
You can expect to be in bustling cities or a completely remote jungle, depending on your internship of choice. Also, you’ll be collaborating with local professionals and volunteers that will offer you insights into Peruvian work ethics and practices. Beyond your internship, your weekends and free time can be spent discovering the overall breathtaking beauty of the country.
During your internship in Peru, you’ll be able to utilize your professional and personal skills, as well as develop those skills that you feel could use more work. Also, employers may see your CV as more favorable, since it’ll show that you were a part of a meaningful international grassroots project, which shows a variety of transferable qualities. If you want to know more about how doing a nonprofit internship is good for your career, make sure to check this blog out!
Unfortunately, no. You can find other ways to fund your internship as you will not be paid while working with a nonprofit organization. Your internship experience will bring a wealth of new knowledge, along with opportunities for professional and personal growth which are both invaluable!
- Prepare for dynamic days filled with healthcare challenges as you contribute to the well-being of children and young people in a shelter.
- Join an organization that encompasses diverse areas of social care.
- Directly contribute to the well-being of vulnerable individuals.
- Get a unique chance to learn, give back, and explore your destination simultaneously.
- Live and work in Peru.
Environmental Education Internship
- 4-26 weeks
- Santarém, Portugal
- Education, Facilitation, Curriculum Development, Monitoring
Education Program Development Internship
- Min. 12 weeks
- Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Curriculum and Program Development, Education Methodolog
- Min 8 weeks
- Cusco, Peru
- Teaching, Gender Equality, Education