Marketing Internship At Environmental NGO, Cape Town
Gain experience in digital marketing, public relations, social media and online community management at an award-winning social enterprise.
Are you a marketer in the making who is passionate about the environment? We have an exciting opportunity for you to be part of Greenpop; a dynamic environmental organisation based in Cape Town. This young but fast-growing social-enterprise runs engaging environmental events and festivals in South Africa and encourages people to get active, not anxious, about sustainability. They are always looking for fresh ideas to make this happen! During the Marketing Internship at Greenpop in Cape Town, you will get the opportunity to be part of an energetic team and get valuable experience in research, marketing strategy, digital marketing, public relations, social media, and online community management all while helping create events that help the planet.
“I have learned that any position can have an impact on an organization, big or small. You have to go head first into any task whether it’s tedious or not, to realize the real impact you’re having on a organisation. This internship has given me invaluable insight into the NGO world, working in the environmental sector, and working in marketing. It definitely reassured me on my passion for the earth, animals and the environment. ”
Tanner, University of British Columbia, Canada
- Destination Cape Town, South Africa
- Type of Organisation Environmental NGO
- Work Focus Direct and Event Marketing, Research, Strategy
- Length of Internship Minimum 8 weeks
- Accommodation Choice of several types
- Fee As from USD 1,390 for 8 weeks
A Little Bit About Greenpop
Greenpop is a Cape Town based environmental NGO that runs urban greening, reforestation, and eco-education projects in Southern and East Africa. And they do it with a difference; they make it fun, accessible, and valuable for everyone involved. While planting trees is an important and very beneficial activity, Greenpop believes that unless communities are actively involved in and incentivised by the process, no lasting environmental change is possible. To date, Greenpop has planted over 66,000 trees – and activated thousands of people in the process.
Greenpop also represents a way of life. The energy and passion cultivated through Greenpop spreads far and wide with each new treevolutionary that joins the team. While the team works hard and focus on tasks at hand, they also know how to have fun, and create a quirky working environment. Greenpop’s aim is to create an ethical and green standard that resonates with all involved and helps create a fun and enjoyable working environment.
The Greenpop teams loves having a team of interns contribute their different skill sets. It’s partly because of interns and volunteers that the organisation has managed to grow as quickly as it has, and the team is appreciative for everyone’s time and input. Greenpop generally has between five and ten interns in our office, adding a multinational and multicultural element to its team.
During an Events Production internship at Greenpop, you’ll be sure to get your hands dirty. Regardless of your area of focus, you’ll take part in occasional planting projects and days at our nursery and eco-education hub, so that you’ll get a full experience of what Greenpop all about.
A few things to know about interning with Greenpop:
- You do not receive a salary or stipend for these work placements.
- There’s a minimum length of two months.
- Internships are full-time, mainly during office hours. Greenpop regularly organizes and/or attends events that will take place in the weekend or evenings. As a member of the Greenpop team you are expected to be willing to assist on these events as well.
At Greenpop they are always busy with green events, adventure camps and networking. This involves communication with different groups of people: school students, teachers, parents, companies, sponsors, stakeholders, partners, interns and other people who are interested in sustainability and greening. The Marketing Department manages the bookings, sales, marketing and sponsorship for all Greenpop events. Greenpop is therefore always supported by several Marketing Interns and Events Coordination Interns that contribute to the success of Greenpop. During the Marketing Internship you will assist the Outreach Manager.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Market Research: research new marketing channels, potential partners for events sponsorship and events logistics.
- Marketing strategy: assist in defining and implementing creative marketing strategies.
- Direct marketing: writing and sending emails to expand relations.
- Social media: assist in content creation for events
- Work on proposals, brochures, and marketing materials to promote Greenpop events.
- Support with talks at high schools or universities and meetings with (potential) partners.
- Managing the marketing database, capturing contact details of people interested in Greenpop events after talks or an event, database selections for direct marketing, updating and adding partners.
- Assist with small areas of events logistics.
- All interns assist with office support, tree planting days, workshops and eco-hub open days.
NB. Please note that the internship is based on a volunteer work placement, so you are not receiving any payment or stipend.
Where You’ll Stay
Your accommodation is included in the internship fee, and we’ll arrange it all for you! We’re excited to offer a variety of options, ranging from dorm rooms to twin and single rooms. The options available depend on your internship period, but we’ll always make sure you’re in a comfortable, central, and safe place. Please get in touch to find out what options are available during your preferred period.
For this Marketing Internship, Greenpop is looking for people with he following skills and experience:
- Work well in a small team as well as independently
- Creative in strategizing and problem-solving
- Excellent understanding (both written and spoken) of the English language
- Like the idea of contributing to a social enterprise
- Fast typing skills
- Preferably experience with marketing on some level (market research, digital marketing, etc.)
- Understanding of Excel spreadsheets
- Bring your own laptop
Skills or abilities you will learn while working with Greenpop
- You will gain experience in the following main areas: Research, Direct Marketing, Partnerships
- Main skills that you will develop: Marketing skills, Networking skills, Research skills
How can you apply for this experience?
If you’re keen for this work placement and feel that you could make an impact with Greenpop, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat to you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the enquiry form. We’ll be happy to assist!
When can you start making an impact?
You can start your Marketing Internship with Greenpop every first and third Tuesday of the month. Please keep in mind Greenpop is closed for two weeks of summer holiday at the end of the year.
At Roots we do everything we can to make your work placement experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Cape Town, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported. These fees are based on a shared dorm room in a beautiful central Cape Town apartment. If you are interested in another kind of accommodation or a single room, please let us know. You can come for any length of time (minimum 8 weeks) – the prices below are a guide but we can send you an exact quote depending on the duration of your internship.
8 weeks – USD 1,446 (2018)
12 weeks – USD 1,894 (2018)
16 weeks – USD 2,342 (2018)
What is included in the fee?
- Full accommodation rental fees based on a shared dorm room.
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day.
- Placement fee for finding you the right internship, assistance with your visa, organizing accommodation and transport, preparations and support to you and host organization before, during and after your placement.
What is not included in the fee?
- Flights to Cape Town
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities