Marketing and Communications Internship at NGO, Cape Town
Do you want to expand your knowledge in content distribution, content writing and explore efficient marketing strategies? Why not at the same time make an impact at Earthchild Project and change the lives of thousands of under-resourced youth? Earthchild’s mission is to create sustainable and meaningful change through the practice of yoga and meditation, enviro-education and leadership training. A fantastic place to grow your roots in the field of Marketing and Communications. Within this Marketing and Communications Internship, you will meet and learn from inspiring earthchildren and staff while learning about a holistic approach to education. This is a fantastic opportunity to be involved in a positive and uplifting initiative while gaining valuable work experience in beautiful Cape Town.
- Destination Cape Town, South Africa
- Type of organization Social enterprise
- Work focus Social Media, Writing, Marketing, PR, Analytics
- Length of internship Minimum 8 weeks
- Accommodation Choice of several types
- Fee As from USD 1,614 for 8 weeks
After traveling and working on an eco-village in South America for one year, Janna Kretzmar arrived back in Cape Town at the beginning of 2006 with her heart set on one thing – to find a way to transform our schools. Earthchild Project works within the existing school structures, by placing Earthchild Project coordinators in schools to introduce and maintain our programs. They are supported by the teachers, parents and volunteers. The programs Earthchild Project creates complement the academic curriculum helping to develop practical skills for healthy and holistic living, such as stress management techniques or permaculture to use at school and in their lives. They are currently in 8 schools in Khayelitsha and Lavender Hill, facilitating over 2,000 children. You will be based at the office in Muizenberg.
Have a look!
The values of our Earthchild Project are to connect, cultivate and inspire – whether it be the children they work with, the teachers, themselves or anyone else on whom they can have a positive impact. Earthchild Project believes in a holistic approach to life and being mindful and conscious of how we live our lives. Earthchild Project’s continued work requires a voice in order to impact as many humans as they can.
During your internship you will be tasked with:
- Posting content to social media and blog, including writing content under the supervision of the Marketing manager
- Drafting press releases and articles under the supervision of the Marketing manager
- Research possible media contacts and maintain a media database
- Assisting with the management and development of marketing collateral: brief designer, source and arrange for branded t-shirts, business cards, stickers, brochure, thank you cards, etc.
- Assisting with monthly Google analytics, managing online advertising and our Google grant
- Explore new marketing ideas, researching and contacting new potential partners.
- Assist with management of our Mailchimp mailing list account, including inputting volunteers/donors/subscribers etc
- Assist with creating a marketing pack for fundraising yoga events and supporting studios/yoga teachers who wish to organize a fundraising event.
- There will also be some ad hoc tasks like assisting the back office with for example data capturing.
Where You’ll Stay
Muizenberg is a seaside suburb of Cape Town. With a long white beach and fantastic opportunities to go for a surf. There are many trendy restaurants, cafes and coffee shops and a lively Friday night market. You will have plenty possibilities for outdoor activities just around the corner. And it’s only a short drive (or train trip) to visit Cape Town’s favorite tourist destinations such as Cape Point, the penguins at Boulders Beach, Table Mountain Cableway, a Winelands or township tour, or Kirstenbosch Gardens.
Your accommodation is included in the internship fee, and we’ll arrange it all for you! We’re excited to offer a variety of options, ranging from dorm rooms to twin and single rooms. The options available depend on your internship period, but we’ll always make sure you’re in a comfortable, central, and safe place. Please get in touch to find out what options are available during your preferred period.
- Fluent or conversational English
- Access to transport
- An understanding of social media and blogging for marketing purposes
- An understanding of WordPress would be ideal
- Experience with writing online content with a basic understanding of search engine optimization
How to apply?
If you’re keen for this work placement and feel that you could make an impact with Earthchild Project, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat to you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the enquiry form. We’ll be happy to assist!
When can you start making an impact?
You can start your internship with Earthchild Project every week, so your final starting date is based on what suits you and Earthchild Project the best.
At Roots, we do everything we can to make your internship experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Cape Town, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported.
Your exact fee depends on the accommodation you choose, but start at the following level:
- 8 weeks – USD 1,502 (2018)
- 12 weeks – USD 1,978 (2018)
- 16 weeks – USD 2,454 (2018)
What is included in the fee?
- Full accommodation rental fees
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- On the ground support during your stay
- A discount on weekend activities, exclusive to Roots interns
What is not included in the fee?
- Flights to Cape Town
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Academic Guidance Apart from the logistical support we offer, and regular check-ins, we also offer additional academic guidance during your internship. At an additional fee of USD 75 a month, you’ll receive monthly sessions with a local lecturer, who will support you in placing your work experience in the context of your academic course, and assist you with any report writing and/or research you’re required to do.