Help shape and develop programs, systems, and network of this start-up nonprofit
Here’s an opportunity to join a start-up organisation that’s addressing an important issue; gender based violence in Cape Town, South Africa. Gender based violence is a widespread issue in Cape Town, and victims are often left without the necessary support.
As an intern on this gender equality internship, you’ll be part of a nonprofit organization that is working on an innovative app that will give women and children an easy-to-use tool. Kwanele will give access to emergency help, build a community of support, and provide resources to use in order to get justice for victims.
This internship suits someone who thrives in a start-up environment, is happy to tackle a variety of tasks, and is passionate about women’s empowerment. It’s a unique opportunity to play a large part in shaping this organization and helping it get off the ground in a successful way. You’ll gain a wealth of experience in the nonprofit sector, and you’ll see tangible results of your work.
You can do this internship remotely, or, if the situation allows, on the ground in Cape Town. If you’re interested in discussing the different options, don’t hesitate to get in touch.
You’ll be part of Kwanele, a start-up nonprofit organization that works to support women who are the victim of gender-based violence, an issue that is prevalent throughout many of Cape Town’s communities. Kwanele is currently developing an app to support victims of gender based violence. The benefits of an app like this will include:
- Providing trauma support to girls and women who are abuse victims
- Developing GBV-training for outreach workers, so that they can provide support and guidance throughout different communities of Cape Town. This assures that each emergency call to the “Kwanele Champions” will be attended by a GBV-trained professional.
- Providing legal support to abuse victims, which can include court preparations, legal advice, and logistical support to ensure women can get to court houses.
- Tracking GBV cases, in order to increase the number of cases being reported and individuals accessing help
- Doing research into trends around gender based violence, and using data and strategic partnerships to support family restoration, both for the victim and the perpetrator.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
As an intern on this gender equality internship in Cape Town, you’ll play a vital role in the developments of this important initiative. Kwanele is in its early stages and provides an exciting opportunity for interns to help shape and develop its programs, systems, and network. You’ll be a large part of a small team, and you can expect to have wide-ranging and varied tasks.
What you’ll do
- Doing research into gender based violence issues in Cape Town and its surroundings
- Helping create an overall communications strategy
- Assisting with website development
- Managing social media channels
- Assisting with programs on the ground
- Doing fundraising research
- Applying for grants and writing corporate funding proposals
- Some experience with digital marketing / communications
- A passion for gender equality issues
- An ability to work independently and take initiative
- A willingness to take on a variety of tasks
- Experience with fundraising or working in the nonprofit sector would be beneficial
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You’ll be staying at The Lenox, a comfortable guest house in the heart of Cape Town. Built in the old Cape Dutch style, The Lenox is characterful and spacious. It has a garden with a barbeque area, a large dining room, and several other communal spaces. Shared bedrooms take up to 2 people, and there are plenty of single rooms available as well (at an extra fee). You’ll be walking distance from a wide range of shops, cafes and restaurants, and at a great spot for some of the touristy highlights Cape Town has to offer as well. (As well as for views of Table Mountain!)
If you do your internship remotely, you will of course be working from the comfort of your home. It’s also possible to do part of your internship remotely and part of it in Cape Town.
DATES & RATES
You can start your internship with this organization every week. Please keep in mind this organization is closed for several weeks of summer holiday at the end of the year.
What you’ll pay (2023 rates)
2 months USD 1,814
3 months USD 2,382
4 months USD 2,950
5 months USD 3,517
6 months USD 4,085
Remote internship Fixed fee USD 525
At Roots, we do everything we can to make your internship experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Cape Town, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported. Your exact fee depends on the duration of your stay, so if you tell us how long you would like to stay, we can give you an exact quote.
What you are paying for:
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- Accommodation in a shared room. If you prefer a single room, please contact us for availability and prices.
- Airport transfers upon arrival and departure
- Breakfast and dinner from Monday to Friday
- Wifi access
- Housekeeping service
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- An orientation program with your supervisor
- Supervision & support during your stay
- Regular check-ins during your internship with you and your supervisor
- Access to workshops with a focus on career development
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- A discount on weekend activities, exclusive to Roots Interns
- Flights to Cape Town
- Visa and medical/travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Lunch, weekend meals, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
|Cape Town, South Africa or Remote|
|Gender equality nonprofit|
|Research, Communications, Fundraising, Program Development|
|Min. 8 Weeks|
|From USD 1,814 (on-site) / USD 525 (remote)|
WHAT THEY’RE SAYING
”I've thoroughly enjoyed my internship with Kwanele and I am extremely grateful for the opportunities it has given me and the range of skills that I have learnt. As the marketing intern, each day is exciting and different and it has been highly rewarding to see the impact of my work as we continue to grow on social media.
Though my internship has drawn to a close, I will be continuing to work for Kwanele part-time during my final year of university. Thank you to Roots helping me find the internship that best suited my goals and skillset, and Leonora, my supervisor and founder of Kwanele, who has been incredibly supportive and amazing to work with!Chelsey, United Kingdom, remote gender equality internship
Contribute to a program that supports victims of gender based violence, a prevalent issue in South Africa
Be part of a start-up project, which will allow you to take on a large role and really make your mark
Gain a thorough understanding of the nonprofit sector in South Africa
Either live and work in Cape Town – or work remotely, from the comfort of your own home
HOW TO APPLY
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
NEED TO MAKE AN ENQUIRY FIRST?
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form below. We’ll be happy to assist!
- 8-26 weeks
- Cape Town, South Africa
- Research, Awareness, Case Assistance
Gain experience in research, provide information, and offer support to (female) victims of abuse.
Female Empowerment Education Internship
- Min. 8 weeks
- Livingstone, Zambia OR Remote
- Education, Facilitation, Research
Help develop educational materials to uplifts girls and women in this African community.
- Min. 12 weeks
- Cape Town, South Africa
- Blog writing, Report and proposal writing
Use your writing skills to contribute to the fight against gender based violence in Cape Town.