CONTIBUTE TO AN ETHICAL FOOD PLATFORM WHILE SHARPENING YOUR WRITING SKILLS
Are you a keen writer with a specific interest in food? Here’s an excellent opportunity to do a creative writing internship for an online platform that promotes organic food and ethical consumerism. You’ll sharpen your writing skills while supporting South African local growers and advocating ethical eating.
As a food writing intern, you can work remotely, or you can join the small team in Cape Town, South Africa. Being on the ground will also give you the opportunity to visit some of the local farmers, nonprofit organizations, and small businesses that you’ll be writing about. Either way, you’ll spend your days writing blog posts on inspiring topics that bring change to the environmental and our collective health.
Apart from writing blog content, you’ll have the opportunity to assist with social media management and web development. You can build a portfolio of articles, and gain some general experience in the communications field, too.
|Cape Town, South Africa or remote|
|Online Food Network|
|Min. 8 Weeks|
The Good Food Network is an online hub that promotes and encourages locally grown organic food. The organization’s goal is to create a central space where local growers can tell their story and anyone interested in sourcing ethical and healthy food can find relevant information and resources. It’s ultimately a way to create a good food ecosystem; The Good Food Network aims to connect farmers, nonprofits, and small businesses that are producing organic food with local restaurants, stores, and individuals looking to support local growers and buy non-toxic, healthy food.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
What you’ll do
As a writing intern, you’ll enjoy a variety of tasks, which – depending on your skills and experience – can include;
- Writing blog content for the Good Food Network on topics such as sustainable food production, ethical eating, and organic farming
- Potentially writing articles for external platforms
- Writing web content
- Assisting with website management / development
- Managing and developing social media channels
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Ideally some experience in content writing
- An interest sustainable food production / ethical consumerism
- An interest in social media management
- A go-getter attitude and ability to work independently
- A willingness to take on a variety of tasks
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You can either join this internship remotely, or join the team in Cape Town, South Africa. If you venture to Cape Town, you’ll be staying at a volunteer house called Yoga Shala, a house in Capri, on Cape Town’s Southern Peninsula. It’s a shared house where people from around the world stay while interning or volunteering in the surrounding communities. Everyone at the house plays a role and assists in the general day to day operation of yoga shala, from the kitchen to gardening and cleaning, which creates a great community in the house. You’ll be surrounded by beaches and mountains, and Cape Town’s city center is a 40-minute drive away.
DATES & RATES
You can start your internship with this organization every week. Please keep in mind this organization is closed for several weeks of summer holiday at the end of the year.
12 WEEKS USD 3,115
16 WEEKS USD 3,470
- Daily breakfast and dinner
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- On the ground support during your stay
- A discount on weekend activities, exclusive to Roots interns
- Flights to Cape Town
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Lunch, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Personal Development Sessions
Workshop: Exploring the Nonprofit Landscape
|Cape Town, South Africa|
|Food Security NGO|
|Min. 8 Weeks|
|From USD 2,285|
- Sharpen your writing skills and build a portfolio of articles
- Get experience in communications marketing and web management
- Be part of an exciting initiative that promotes a healthy and sustainable food industry in South Africa
- Be a big part of a small team and really see the results of your work
- Live and work in Cape Town (one of the coolest cities in the world!) or enjoy the flexibility of working remotely
How to apply?
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
- Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) and send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
- If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form on the right. We’ll be happy to assist!