Help coordinate events, big and small, for a library non profit in Cape Town
If you have a keen eye for detail, a love for organization and want to do an Event Management Internship abroad, this organisation is perfect for you!
In this internship you will help organize events, small and large, for a nonprofit in Cape Town. This nonprofit specializes in implementing libraries in public schools around South Africa. As an event management intern, you’ll work from the head office in Cape Town. You’ll be organizing events in the area. Get ready to be exposed to a wide range of tasks to help a small organization grow, one school library at a time! You will also get to experience life abroad, in the bustling city of Cape Town.
The Bookery was established in 2010 with a mission to provide libraries and library support to public schools in South Africa.
Libraries are important for any school. They are safe places where children can improve their literacy, expand their understanding of the world and find joy in reading. Yet at least 85% of public schools in South Africa do not have functional libraries. This shortage is not currently prioritized by the government. It is worst in poor communities, where there are few quiet places to learn, and where many homes don’t own books.
To address this problem, The Bookery provides a library and a trained young librarian to under-resourced public schools in South Africa. First, they build a collection of 4000 books that are of good quality and relevance to the school. Then they provide support to the library. They empower the young librarian – or ‘library assistant’ – with the skills to manage the library.
Their work helps to bring the school library to life, as a place where literacy initiatives can thrive and school learners can read for study and for fun. To date, they have set up 82 school libraries in South Africa.
This organisation also offers a Fundraising Internship and a Communications and Marketing Internship!
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
The Bookery hosts annual events for brand awareness, fundraising and to keep the libraries functional.
What you’ll do
- Plan and coordinate events and manage the logistics
- Communicate with vendors and partners
- Create awareness surrounding the events
- Work with the fundraising team to set and meet specific donation goals
- Ensure budgets are adhered to
This internship also offers a chance to visit the school libraries that the organization has set up.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- An individual that is not shy and able to take on tasks head-on
- To be able to work independently as well as part of a team
- Computer skills and knowledge of office software packages
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Your own laptop
- A passion for reading and literacy is an asset!
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You’ll be staying at the Lenox, a comfortable guest house in the heart of Cape Town. Built in the old Cape Dutch style, the Lenox is characterful and spacious. It has a garden with a barbeque area, a large dining room, and several other communal spaces. Shared bedrooms take four to eight people, and there are plenty of single rooms available as well (at an extra fee). You’ll be walking distance from a wide range of shops, cafes and restaurants, and at a great spot for some of the touristy highlights Cape Town has to offer as well. (As well as for views of Table Mountain!)
DATES & RATES
You can start your internship with this organization every Monday. Please keep in mind this organization is closed for a couple of weeks of summer holiday at the end of the year.
What you’ll pay (2023 rates)
2 MONTHS USD 1,814
3 MONTHS USD 2,382
4 MONTHS USD 2,949
5 MONTHS USD 3,517
6 MONTHS USD 4,084
At Roots, we do everything we can to make your internship experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Cape Town, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported.
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Accommodation based on a dorm room (4-8 pax). If you prefer a single room, please contact us for availability and prices
- Two meals (breakfast and dinner) a day from Monday to Friday
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- Free WiFi
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Supervision during your internship
- Check-in and feedback as well as a reference letter after your internship
- On the ground support during your stay
- A discount on weekend activities, exclusive to Roots interns
- Flights to Cape Town
- Daily transport to the office
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Lunch, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Meals during the weekend
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
|Cape Town, South Africa|
|Event management, coordination|
|From USD 1,814|
- Gain practical experience in project management, event coordination, and planning
- Contribute to a charity on a mission to create dynamic school libraries that inspire a love of reading, break barriers and change lives
- Help host annual events for brand awareness, fundraising and to keep the libraries functional
- Gain a full insight in the day to day running of a nonprofit organisation
- Live and work in Cape Town, one of the most beautiful cities in the world
Enjoy exploring South Africa’s many highlights during your time off
HOW TO APPLY
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) which includes sharing your CV with us.
SPEAK WITH AN ADVISOR
We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you all the information you need.
We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit. Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
NEED TO MAKE AN ENQUIRY FIRST?
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form below. We’ll be happy to assist!