Event Management Internship in South Africa
Help coordinate events, big and small, for a non profit in Cape Town
If you have a keen eye for detail, a love for organization and want to do an Event Management Internship abroad, this organisation is perfect for you!
In this internship you will help organize events, small and large, for a nonprofit in Cape Town. This nonprofit specializes in implementing libraries in public schools around South Africa. As an event management intern, you’ll work from the head office in Cape Town. You’ll be organizing events in the area. Get ready to be exposed to a wide range of tasks to help a small organization grow, one school library at a time! You will also get to experience life abroad, in the bustling city of Cape Town.
- Destination Cape Town, South Africa
- Organisation Library Non Profit
- Work Focus Event management and coordination
- Length of Internship Minimum 8 weeks
- Accommodation Choice of several types
- Fee As from USD 1,491 for 8 weeks
The Bookery was established in 2010 with a mission to provide libraries and library support to public schools in South Africa.
Libraries are important for any school. They are safe places where children can improve their literacy, expand their understanding of the world and find joy in reading. Yet at least 85% of public schools in South Africa do not have functional libraries. This shortage is not currently prioritized by the government. It is worst in poor communities, where there are few quiet places to learn, and where many homes don’t own books.
To address this problem, The Bookery provides a library and a trained young librarian to under-resourced public schools in South Africa. First, they build a collection of 4000 books that are of good quality and relevance to the school. Then they provide support to the library. They empower the young librarian – or ‘library assistant’ – with the skills to manage the library.
Their work helps to bring the school library to life, as a place where literacy initiatives can thrive and school learners can read for study and for fun. To date, they have set up 82 school libraries in South Africa.
The Bookery hosts annual events for brand awareness, fundraising and to keep the libraries functional. They need interns who can:
- Plan and coordinate events and manage the logistics
- Communicate with vendors and partners
- Create awareness surrounding the events
- Work with the fundraising team to set and meet specific donation goals
- Ensure budgets are adhered to
Where You’ll Stay
Your accommodation is included in the internship fee, and we’ll arrange it all for you! We’re excited to offer a variety of options, ranging from dorm rooms to twin and single rooms. The options available depend on your internship period, but we’ll always make sure you’re in a comfortable, central, and safe place. Please get in touch to find out what options are available during your preferred period.
Requirements for an Event Management Internship at this library nonprofit:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- An individual that is not shy and able to take on tasks head-on
- To be able to work independently as well as part of a team
- Computer skills and knowledge of office software packages
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Your own laptop
- A passion for reading and literacy is an asset!
The Application Process
If you’re keen on this work placement and feel that you could make a good contribution to this organization, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat with you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the contact form. We’ll be happy to assist!
When can you start making an impact?
The Bookery has internship opportunities throughout the year for, and the start dates are flexible.
At Roots, we do everything we can to make your internship experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Cape Town, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported.
Your exact fee depends on the accommodation you choose, but start at the following level:
8 weeks – USD 1,491
12 weeks – USD 1,961
16 weeks – USD 2,432
What is included in the fee?
- Accommodation based on a dorm room in shared apartment – other accommodation options are available and fees will vary
- Free WiFi
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- Supervision during your internship
- Check-in and feedback as well as a reference letter after your internship
- On the ground support during your stay
- A discount on weekend activities, exclusive to Roots interns
What is not included in the fee?
- Flights to Cape Town
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities