Event Coordination and Planning Internship at NGO, Cape Town
Do you have a passion for event planning? Do you revel in seeing a celebration that you took part in executing? Are you looking to use your skills in event coordination in a meaningful way? We are happy to offer an Event Coordination and Planning Internship with Earthchild Project. They run many events including workshops, holiday workshops, end of year parties, AGM’s, and camps. This Event Coordination and Planning Internship requires exquisite organization skills with regards to logistics and coordination with partners, partners and suppliers. And it will give you the opportunity to meet inspiring earthchildren and staff while learning about a holistic approach to education. Earthchild’s mission is to create sustainable and meaningful change through the practice of yoga and meditation, enviro-education and leadership training. At Earthchild Project you will grow your roots in the field of Event Coordination and Planning. This is a fantastic opportunity to be involved in a positive and uplifting initiative while gaining valuable work experience in beautiful Cape Town, South Africa.
- Destination Cape Town, South Africa
- Type of organization Social enterprise
- Work focus Event Coordination, Event Marketing
- Length of internship Minimum 12 weeks
- Accommodation Choice of several types
- Programme fee As from USD 1,614 for 8 weeks
After traveling and working on an eco-village in South America for one year, Janna Kretzmar arrived back in Cape Town at the beginning of 2006. Her heart was set on one thing – to find a way to transform our schools. Earthchild Project works within the existing school structures, by placing Earthchild Project coordinators in schools to introduce and maintain our programs. They are supported by the teachers, parents and volunteers. Earthchild Project creates programs that complement the academic curriculum helping to develop practical skills for healthy and holistic living. Skills such as stress management techniques or permaculture to use at school and integrate into their home lives. They are currently in 8 schools in Khayelitsha and Lavender Hill, facilitating over 2,000 children. You will be based at the office in Muizenberg.
Have a look!
Earthchild Project runs many events including workshops, holiday workshops, end of year parties, AGM’s, and camps. They also believe teachers play an important role in the lives of children as their task is not only to impart knowledge but also to support, inspire and be a positive role model. The Teacher’s Wellness Convention is Earthchild Project’s biggest event of the year and requires dedicated planning and successful implementation. It’s a one-day event that will offer 300 teachers an opportunity to learn from leading experts in the Wellness sector. It aims to empower teachers with the knowledge and tools to better manage stress and improve their health and overall well-being.
The values of our Earthchild Project are to connect, cultivate and inspire – whether it be the children they work with, the teachers, themselves or anyone else on whom they can have a positive impact. Earthchild Project believes in a holistic approach to life and being mindful and conscious of how we live our lives. Earthchild Project’s events require efficient planning and execution in order to impact as many humans as they can.
During your internship you will be tasked with:
- Producing ideas that can be easily executed and managed
- Coordinating with designers and other role players
- Press releases and media communications
- Managing the marketing and booking of event
- Managing programme schedule, posters and flyers
- Contacting schools and teachers for event marketing
- Finding sponsors for gift bag items
- Booking of venue and service providers
- Managing the communication platform with the teachers
- Assisting with set-up logistics and general running of the day
- Assisting in managing the event volunteers and staff
This internship will offer you the opportunity to gain experience in:
- Communication with stakeholders, sponsors and media
- Event management from start to finish
And your skills will be developed in coordination with designers, caterers, guests and staff throughout the creative process and running of the events.
Where You’ll Stay
Muizenberg is a seaside suburb in Cape Town. With a long white beach and fantastic opportunities to go for a surf. There are many trendy restaurants, cafes and coffee shops and a lively Friday night market. You will have plenty possibilities for outdoor activities just around the corner. And it’s only a short drive (or train trip) to visit Cape Town’s favourite tourist destinations such as Cape Point, the penguins at Boulders Beach, Table Mountain Cableway, a winelands or township tour, or Kirstenbosch Gardens. The Silver Court accommodation is a piece of home-from-home, a hop skip and a jump away from your early morning swim, surf or evening beach walk in super friendly, relaxed home.
Here you will find a secure, clean room which has morning sun. You will share your own private little bathroom with only one other guest if he/she is booked in at the same time. Amenities include:
- Private bedroom with single bed (bedding and towels are included)
- Free wireless internet access
- Shared kitchen, dining, living room areas and shared garden and back patio areas
- Tea and coffee
- A washing machine is available but you will need to provide your own washing powder. Otherwise laundry can be done for you at ZAR 50 per load.
- You have your own street entrance to the back patio and your living quarters
- Easy access to grocery store and local train station (10 min. walk away)
- No smoking house accommodation
- This is an enviro-friendly house, so please help them save water, electricity and recycle your rubbish
- Your host, Viv, is a trained and experienced tour guide! She has lots of written information which you can go through at your own leisure after which she can give advice and offer more help if needed
- Fluent or conversational English
- Comfortable with completing tasks unsupervised
- Driven and motivated to learn and share your knowledge
- Experience and desire to learn in Event Coordination and Planning
- A laptop
How to apply?
If you’re keen for this work placement and feel that you could make an impact with Earthchild Project, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat to you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the enquiry form. We’ll be happy to assist!
When can you start making an impact?
You can start your internship with Earthchild Project every week, so your final starting date is based on what suits you and Earthchild Project the best.
At Roots we do everything we can to make your work placement experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Cape Town, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported. If you are interested in another kind of accommodation please let us know. You can come for any length of time (minimum 8 weeks) – the prices below are a guide but we can send you an exact quote depending on the duration of your internship.
- 8 weeks – as from USD 1,614
- 12 weeks – as from USD 2,146
- 16 weeks – as from USD 2,678
What is included in the fee?
- Full accommodation rental fees.
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day.
- Placement fee for finding you the right internship, assistance with your visa, organizing accommodation and transport, preparations and support to you and host organization before, during and after your placement.
What is not included in the fee?
- Flights to Cape Town
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities