EMBARK ON A NONPROFIT DIGITAL marketing internship in Cape Town
If you have a passion for animals, and you’re keen to get practical work experience in marketing and fundraising, here’s a wonderful opportunity to join an animal welfare organization in Cape Town, South Africa, for an internship. You’ll find yourself professionally stimulated, rewarded by doing impactful work, and – not unimportantly – surrounded by puppies.
You’ll be based on the Southern Peninsula, where the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans meet and beaches are plentiful. In this wonderful setting, you’ll join a hard-working team of people who’ve made saving the lives of dogs and cats their daily business.
As an intern, you’ll enjoy a varied work environment. Most of your tasks will be focused on marketing (think website management and digital campaigns), but you can also expect to assist with fundraising, which can include donor management, fundraising events, and research. This digital marketing internship will give you a great resume boost, a rewarding experience, and a unique insight into the day to day running of a nonprofit organization.
|Cape Town, South Africa|
|Facilitation, Research, Reporting, Monitoring, Education, Tree planting|
TEARS is a well-established nonprofit organization on a mission to improve the lives of animals in the South African communities they work in. The country deals with a high number of stray animals, an equally high number of neglected pets, and an unfortunate amount of animal abuse. It’s an animal welfare tragedy that is dwarfed by the many socio-economic and humanitarian issues South Africa faces, and therefore largely overlooked.
Based on the Southern Peninsula of Cape Town, the TEARS team provides quality shelter, medical care, and rescue support to animals in need in surrounding communities. They rescue and home hundreds of dogs and cats each year, run sterilization drives, offer free veterinary care, and proactively address animal abuse through education campaigns.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
What you’ll do
As an intern with this animal welfare charity, your role will be mostly focused around digital marketing and fundraising tasks. Depending on your skills, academic background, and interests, your tasks can include the following;
- Assisting with website management
- Helping with running the online shop
- Creating and running online fundraising and marketing campaigns
- Writing grant applications and creating funding proposals
- Assisting with promoting and/or organising fundraising events
- Doing fundraising research
- Helping with database management
- Assisting with photography and/or graphic design, should you have skills in these areas
- Assisting with donor relationship management
- Strong writing and communication skills
- An ability to work in a high paced environment
- Ideally some experience with digital marketing, and/or fundraising
- A willingness to take on a variety of tasks
- Photography and/or graphic design skills would be bonus
- A passion for the work TEARS does
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You’ll stay at a comfortable and welcoming volunteer house in a picturesque suburb of Cape Town, on the Southern Peninsula. It’s a great setting; you’ll be surrounded by beaches and mountains, and the penguin colony at Boulder’s Beach is only a 5-minute drive away. The house hosts people from around the world that are volunteering in the surrounding communities, which creates a wonderfully international vibe. The nearest shops and restaurants are a 5-minute drive away, and Cape Town’s city center is a 40-minute drive away. It’s easy to take Ubers and make your way around.
DATES & RATES
Internship start and end dates are flexible and will be discussed with your during the selection process.
What you’ll pay (2022 rates)
8 weeks USD 2,285
12 weeks USD 3,115
16 weeks USD 3,944
Remote internship Fixed fee USD 475
What you are paying for:
- Full accommodation rental fees including breakfast and dinner
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- An orientation program with your supervisor.
- On the ground support during your stay
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- A discount on weekend activities, exclusive to Roots interns
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Transport to the TEARS office or project locations
- Drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Personal Development Sessions
Workshop: Exploring the Nonprofit Landscape
|Cape Town, South Africa or Remote|
|Animal Welfare NGO|
|Website Management, Fundraising, Marketing, Grant Writing, Research|
|Min. 8 Weeks|
|From USD 2,285 (on-site) / USD 475 (remote)|
- Boost your resume with practical experience in a range of digital marketing tasks
- Gain experience in fundraising
- Get a full understanding of the day to day running of a nonprofit organization
- Be part of a highly driven and dedicated team (and be surrounded by dogs and cats every day!)
- Live and work in Cape Town (one of the coolest cities in the world!) or enjoy the flexibility of working remotely
How to apply?
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
- Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) and send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
- If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a booking process, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form on the right. We’ll be happy to assist!