Digital Marketing Internship in South Africa
Join a social enterprise on a mission to help develop the online presence of valuable non profits
This is an exciting opportunity to gain experience in digital marketing in a nonprofit context. During this internship you’ll be part of Digital Butter, a digital marketing agency based in Johannesburg, South Africa, that offers free services to a number of nonprofit organisations. These NGOs, who all run social impact programs on a grassroots level, deal with a lack of resources and often don’t have the capacity to run effective communication campaigns. Digital Butter offers support in areas such as social media, fundraising, web design and branding. As a digital marketing intern, you’ll join their small team to run these pro bono campaigns. It’s a great opportunity to get hands-on experience in communications, marketing and fundraising. It is also a chance to offer much needed support to grassroots charities in South Africa.
- Destination Johannesburg, South Africa
- Type of Organization Digital Marketing Social Enterprise
- Work Focus Digital Media, Fundraising, Marketing
- Length of Internship 2-6 Months
- Accommodation Dorm
- Fee As from USD 1,580
About the Organisation
As a digital marketing intern in South Africa, you’ll be part of Digital Butter, a digital marketing agency based in Johannesburg. Digital Butter focuses on helping businesses and nonprofits find, retain and engage clients online so they can grow. They are proud to offer free support to grassroots nonprofit organisations, who cannot afford to pay for, but greatly benefit from these services. Digital Butter’s vision is to train nonprofits so that they can acquire the skills to more effectively run their fundraising and marketing campaigns.
Your tasks during this internship in Johannesburg depends on your skills, experience, and desired learning outcomes, but it can involve the following:
- Help design social media strategies for nonprofits
- Manage social media channels
- Assist with designing and running online funding campaigns
- Assist with web design or development
- Help run email marketing campaigns
- Assist with brand development
Where you will stay
Johannesburg has both African and international influences, but also its own culturally rich identity. It was built around the gold rush in the 1900’s and was also known as Egoli, translated to the City of Gold. You will stay in a backpackers accommodation in the area of Braamfontein An area with a authentic vibe, where you will be surrounded by students, travelers, academics, and artists. A creative area with plenty of coffee roasters, coffee shops, restaurants, some of the trendiest fashion boutiques between modern co-working spaces, outdoor food markets, and nightlife hot spots.
Your accommodation (based on a dorm room) is included in the internship fee, and we’ll arrange it all for you! You will have free WiFi, kitchen facilities to prepare your own meals or you can use the on-site bar and restaurant. There is a large cinema room and the team leads several free activities every day.
Your required skills depend on the areas you’ll be focusing on. For instance, if you’ll be working on web design, some experience would be advantageous. But all interns with Digital Butter should have the following:
- A passion for development work
- Strong communication skills
- A flexible attitude
- A keen interest to learn
The Application Process
If you’re keen on this work placement and feel that you could make a good contribution to this organization, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat with you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the contact form. We’ll be happy to assist!
When can you start making an impact?
The Digital Marketing internship opportunities are offered throughout the year, and the start dates are flexible.
At Roots, we do everything we can to make your internship experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Johannesburg, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported.
Your exact fee depends the duration of your stay. See below for the fees for a stay at a backpackers in a shared room with self-catering facilities. If you prefer a single room, please let us know and we will check availability and prices for you.
2 months – USD 1,580
3 months – USD 2,096
4 months – USD 2,611
5 months – USD 3,126
6 months – USD 3,642