Content Creation Internship at social NPO, Cape Town
Do you have a passion for photography, videography and writing? Why not use your unique skills to make an impact at Earthchild Project and change the lives of thousands of under-resourced youth? The mission of this non-profit organization is to create sustainable and meaningful change through the practice of yoga and meditation, enviro-education and leadership training. A fantastic place to grow your roots in the field of content creation. Within this Content Creation Internship, you will meet and learn from inspiring earthchildren and staff while learning about a holistic approach to education This approach includes yoga, worm farming, organic gardening and more. This is a great opportunity to be involved in a positive and uplifting initiative while gaining valuable work experience in beautiful Cape Town.
“As an intern, I have been given the opportunity to attend the environmental lessons in the Earthchild Project schools as well as updating lesson plans and developing a workbook together with the Green Team. This workbook will be printed and used in the Living Classrooms from next year on!”
- Destination Cape Town, South Africa
- Type of organization Social enterprise
- Work focus Videography, Photography, Writing
- Length of internship Minimum 8 weeks
- Accommodation Choice of several types
- Fee As from USD 1,614 for 8 weeks
After traveling and working on an eco-village in South America for one year, Janna Kretzmar arrived back in Cape Town at the beginning of 2006 with her heart set on one thing – to find a way to transform our schools. Earthchild Project works within the existing school structures, by placing Earthchild Project coordinators in schools to introduce and maintain our programs. They are supported by the teachers, parents and volunteers. The programs Earthchild Project creates complement the academic curriculum helping to develop practical skills for healthy and holistic living, such as stress management techniques or permaculture to use at school and in their lives.
Their mission is to create meaningful and sustainable change by providing practical skills in how to live a holistic, balanced lifestyle with a focus on self-awareness, health and the environment. They are currently active at eight schools in Khayelitsha and Lavender Hill, facilitating over 2,000 children. You will be based at the office in Muizenberg, a beach-side suburb from Cape Town.
Have a look!
The values of our Earthchild Project are to connect, cultivate and inspire – whether it be the children they work with, the teachers, themselves or anyone else on whom they can have a positive impact. Earthchild Project believes in a holistic approach to life and being mindful and conscious of how we live our lives. Earthchild Project’s continuing engagements require a flow of captured and shareable content.
During your internship you will be tasked with:
- Generating short videos, photos and blog posts telling the Earthchild Project story, including our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers, etc
- Editing videos and photos
- Writing and edit blog posts
- Uploading content online to blog, Youtube and elsewhere
- Attending Earthchild Project events to document and film
- Archiving material generated in secure and meaningful ways
- Generating creative and innovative ways for communicating Earthchild Project’s work with the public, donors and media
NB. You will be working from Earthchild’s office in Muizenberg, a beach-side suburb from Cape Town.
Where You’ll Stay
Muizenberg is a seaside suburb in Cape Town. With a long white beach and fantastic opportunities to go for a surf. There are many trendy restaurants, cafes and coffee shops and a lively Friday night market. You will have plenty possibilities for outdoor activities just around the corner. And it’s only a short drive (or train trip) to visit Cape Town’s favourite tourist destinations such as Cape Point, the penguins at Boulders Beach, Table Mountain Cableway, a winelands or township tour, or Kirstenbosch Gardens. The Silver Court accommodation is a piece of home-from-home, a hop skip and a jump away from your early morning swim, surf or evening beach walk in super friendly, relaxed home.
Here you will find a secure, clean room which has morning sun. You will share your own private little bathroom with only one other guest if he/she is booked in at the same time. Amenities include:
- Private bedroom with single bed (bedding and towels are included)
- Free wireless internet access
- Shared kitchen, dining, living room areas and shared garden and back patio areas
- Tea and coffee
- A washing machine is available but you will need to provide your own washing powder. Otherwise laundry can be done for you at ZAR 50 per load.
- You have your own street entrance to the back patio and your living quarters.
- Easy access to grocery store and local train station (10 min. walk away)
- No smoking house accommodation.
- This is an enviro-friendly house, so please help them save water, electricity and recycle your rubbish where possible.
- Your host, Viv, is a trained and experienced tour guide! She has lots of written information which you can go through at your own leisure after which she can give advice and offer more help if required.
- Fluent or conversational English
- Access to transport (own car, taxi or public transport) and a laptop
- Access to editing software such as Photoshop and video editing software
- Ability to interview people from diverse backgrounds and identify the key elements in a story
- Ability to attend events occasionally on Saturdays
- Ability to edit film and photos
- Experience in writing online content with a basic understanding of search engine optimization
- Interests in helping others and having fun
- Ability to integrate into the team
- A smile
How to apply?
If you’re keen for this work placement and feel that you could make an impact with Greenpop, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat to you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the enquiry form. We’ll be happy to assist!
When can you start making an impact?
You can start your internship with Earthchild Project every week, so your final starting date is based on what suits you and Earthchild Project the best.
Fees for 2017
At Roots we do everything we can to make your work placement experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great match makers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Cape Town, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported. If you are interested in another kind of accommodation please let us know. You can come for any length of time (min 8 weeks) – the prices below are a guide but we can send you an exact quote depending on the duration of your internship.
- 8 weeks – as from USD 1,614
- 12 weeks – as from USD 2,146
- 16 weeks – as from USD 2,678
What is included in the fee?
- Full accommodation rental fees.
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day.
- Placement fee (USD 550) for finding you the right internship, assistance with your visa, organizing accommodation and transport, preparations and support to you and host organisation before, during and after your placement.
What is not included in the fee?
- Flights to Cape Town
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities