Content Creation Internship at social NPO, Cape Town
Do you have a passion for photography, videography and writing? Why not use your unique skills to make an impact at Earthchild Project and change the lives of thousands of under-resourced youth? The mission of this non-profit organization is to create sustainable and meaningful change through the practice of yoga and meditation, enviro-education and leadership training. A fantastic place to grow your roots in the field of content creation. Within this Content Creation Internship, you will meet and learn from inspiring earthchildren and staff while learning about a holistic approach to education This approach includes yoga, worm farming, organic gardening and more. This is a great opportunity to be involved in a positive and uplifting initiative while gaining valuable work experience in beautiful Cape Town.
“As an intern, I have been given the opportunity to attend the environmental lessons in the Earthchild Project schools as well as updating lesson plans and developing a workbook together with the Green Team. This workbook will be printed and used in the Living Classrooms from next year on!”
- Destination Cape Town, South Africa
- Type of organization Social enterprise
- Work focus Videography, Photography, Writing
- Length of internship Minimum 8 weeks
- Accommodation Choice of several types
- Fee As from USD 1,614 for 8 weeks
After traveling and working on an eco-village in South America for one year, Janna Kretzmar arrived back in Cape Town at the beginning of 2006 with her heart set on one thing – to find a way to transform our schools. Earthchild Project works within the existing school structures, by placing Earthchild Project coordinators in schools to introduce and maintain our programs. They are supported by the teachers, parents and volunteers. The programs Earthchild Project creates complement the academic curriculum helping to develop practical skills for healthy and holistic living, such as stress management techniques or permaculture to use at school and in their lives.
Their mission is to create meaningful and sustainable change by providing practical skills in how to live a holistic, balanced lifestyle with a focus on self-awareness, health and the environment. They are currently active at eight schools in Khayelitsha and Lavender Hill, facilitating over 2,000 children. You will be based at the office in Muizenberg, a beach-side suburb from Cape Town.
Have a look!
The values of our Earthchild Project are to connect, cultivate and inspire – whether it be the children they work with, the teachers, themselves or anyone else on whom they can have a positive impact. Earthchild Project believes in a holistic approach to life and being mindful and conscious of how we live our lives. Earthchild Project’s continuing engagements require a flow of captured and shareable content.
During your internship you will be tasked with:
- Generating short videos, photos and blog posts telling the Earthchild Project story, including our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers, etc
- Editing videos and photos
- Writing and edit blog posts
- Uploading content online to blog, Youtube and elsewhere
- Attending Earthchild Project events to document and film
- Archiving material generated in secure and meaningful ways
- Generating creative and innovative ways for communicating Earthchild Project’s work with the public, donors and media
NB. You will be working from Earthchild’s office in Muizenberg, a beach-side suburb from Cape Town.
Where You’ll Stay
Muizenberg is a seaside suburb of Cape Town. With a long white beach and fantastic opportunities to go for a surf. There are many trendy restaurants, cafes and coffee shops and a lively Friday night market. You will have plenty possibilities for outdoor activities just around the corner. And it’s only a short drive (or train trip) to visit Cape Town’s favorite tourist destinations such as Cape Point, the penguins at Boulders Beach, Table Mountain Cableway, a Winelands or township tour, or Kirstenbosch Gardens.
Your accommodation is included in the internship fee, and we’ll arrange it all for you! We’re excited to offer a variety of options, ranging from dorm rooms to twin and single rooms. The options available depend on your internship period, but we’ll always make sure you’re in a comfortable, central, and safe place. Please get in touch to find out what options are available during your preferred period.
- Fluent or conversational English
- Access to transport (own car, taxi or public transport) and a laptop
- Access to editing software such as Photoshop and video editing software
- Ability to interview people from diverse backgrounds and identify the key elements in a story
- Ability to attend events occasionally on Saturdays
- Ability to edit film and photos
- Experience in writing online content with a basic understanding of search engine optimization
- Interests in helping others and having fun
- Ability to integrate into the team
- A smile
How to apply?
If you’re keen for this work placement and feel that you could make an impact with Greenpop, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat to you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the enquiry form. We’ll be happy to assist!
When can you start making an impact?
You can start your internship with Earthchild Project every week, so your final starting date is based on what suits you and Earthchild Project the best.
At Roots, we do everything we can to make your internship experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Cape Town, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported.
Your exact fee depends on the accommodation you choose, but start at the following level:
- 8 weeks – USD 1,502 (2018)
- 12 weeks – USD 1,978 (2018)
- 16 weeks – USD 2,454 (2018)
What is included in the fee?
- Full accommodation rental fees
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- On the ground support during your stay
- A discount on weekend activities, exclusive to Roots interns
What is not included in the fee?
- Flights to Cape Town
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Academic Guidance Apart from the logistical support we offer, and regular check-ins, we also offer additional academic guidance during your internship. At an additional fee of USD 75 a month, you’ll receive monthly sessions with a local lecturer, who will support you in placing your work experience in the context of your academic course, and assist you with any report writing and/or research you’re required to do.