Communications and Digital Media Internship in South Africa
Help tell the stories of impactful education programs in Africa
Join us for a communications and digital media internship in South Africa, Johannesburg. You’ll be part of a nonprofit organisation that has been running impactful education programs in underprivileged communities of South Africa for over three decades. As a communications and digital media intern, you’ll get involved in creating photographs and video content of projects, managing social media platform, writing online content, and analysing the success and potential of digital media strategies. It’s a great opportunity to gain valuable work experience while contributing to worthwhile nonprofit programs.
- Destination Johannesburg, South Africa
- Type of Organization Educational nonprofit
- Work Focus Writing, content management, photography
- Length of Internship 2-6 months
- Accommodation Dorm room
- Fee As from USD 1,580 (2 months)
Education Africa was founded in 1992 and has a mission of alleviating poverty through education. It has since run many successful projects focused on early childhood education, teacher training, building schools, and more. Its current programmes include:
- Early Childhood Development
- International Arts & Culture
- UNISA Certificate Programmes
- Walter Sisulu Scholarship Fund
- Education Africa’s South African Model UN
As a Communications and Digital Media intern, your work will include the following:
- Photography of programmes and any events held by or for Education Africa
- Create video content for social media
- Manage all Social Media Platforms
- Analyse our current digital media strategy and suggest ways we can improve
- Write blog content and run email campaigns
- Interview individuals in our programmes to create stories to use in our fundraising strategy and on our website
This is an office-based internship, but with occasional project site visits in the greater Johannesburg area. In addition, you might have the opportunity to join networking and fundraising events and meeting influential people in the nonprofit sector.
Where you will stay
Johannesburg has both African and international influences, but also its own culturally rich identity. It was built around the gold rush in the 1900’s and was also known as Egoli, translated to the City of Gold. You will stay in a backpackers accommodation in the area of Braamfontein An area with a authentic vibe, where you will be surrounded by students, travelers, academics, and artists. A creative area with plenty of coffee roasters, coffee shops, restaurants, some of the trendiest fashion boutiques between modern co-working spaces, outdoor food markets, and nightlife hot spots.
Your accommodation (based on a dorm room) is included in the internship fee, and we’ll arrange it all for you! You will have free WiFi, kitchen facilities to prepare your own meals or you can use the on-site bar and restaurant. There is a large cinema room and the team leads several free activities every day.
- A passion for Education Africa’s mission
- Great communication skills
- Strong spoken and written English
- A strong interest in digital media
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Bring your own laptop
The Application Process
If you’re keen on this work placement and feel that you could make a good contribution to this organization, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat with you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the contact form. We’ll be happy to assist!
When can you start making an impact?
The Communications and Digital Media internship opportunities are offered throughout the year, and the start dates are flexible.
At Roots, we do everything we can to make your internship experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Johannesburg, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported.
Your exact fee depends the duration of your stay. See below for the fees for a stay at a backpackers in a shared room with self-catering facilities. If you prefer a single room, please let us know and we will check availability and prices for you.
2 months – USD 1,580
3 months – USD 2,096
4 months – USD 2,611
5 months – USD 3,126
6 months – USD 3,642
What is included in the fee?
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- Accommodation based on shared room. You will share the bathroom with your room mates and can use the kitchen facilities in the backpackers.
- Transfer from Johannesburg airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Pre-departure information
- Check-in and feedback
- Supervision and support on the ground
What is not included in the fee?
- Flights to Johannesburg
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities