Communications and Digital Media Internship in Johannesburg
Get practical Experience in content creation, Grant writing, and Social Media Management.
Gain practical experience in communications in a nonprofit context, and contribute to a worthwhile cause at the same time. Based in Johannesburg, South Africa, you’ll get a good understanding of the way social development programs work, and you’ll be able to use and improve your writing and digital media skills. During this Communications and Digital Media Internship in Johannesburg, you’ll have a chance to be part of the NGO’s communication strategy, and you can get practical experience in areas such as content creation, grant writing, and social media management. It’s a great opportunity for students of Communications, Journalism, Digital Media, or related fields.
- Destination Johannesburg, South Africa
- Type of Organization Environmental nonprofit, Social outreach
- Work Focus Communications, Writing, Social Media
- Length of Internship 2-6 months
- Accommodation Dorm
- Fee As from USD 1,580
About the Organization
Hlumelelisa is a nonprofit that offers horticulture training in prisons and to youth-at-risk in Johannesburg, South Africa. The organisation’s mission is to equip people with horticultural, entrepreneurial, and life skills so that they have an increased chance of finding work and becoming fully reintegrated in the community after their release. In addition, the projects help to create a greener, safer, more beautiful South Africa.
Hlumelelisa has chosen horticulture as our catalyst for transformation because a very substantial body of scientific evidence shows that immersion in nature has a positive impact on people’s well being. Moreover, horticultural skills are scarce and therefore useful skills to have in South Africa. Through a 10-month accredited course, Hlumelelisa teaches offenders the relevant skills to become a successful employee or even entrepreneur in the horticulture field, thus diverting them from turning again to crime as a means to survive.
The organisation was founded in 2003 and has, to date, offered courses to 735 amount of people. It’s now looking at expanding its reach beyond Johannesburg, and putting together sustainable and scalable systems and programs.
As a Digital Media and Communications intern, there’s a diverse range of areas you can get involved in, including:
- Creating content for the website and blog
- Managing social media channels
- Helping establish a strong communication strategy for donors
- Writing grants and funding proposals
- Writing impact reports
- Helping with website developments
Your tasks will be customized to your specific skills and knowledge.
This organization also offers a NGO Management Internship.
Where you will stay
Johannesburg has both African and international influences, but also its own culturally rich identity. It was built around the gold rush in the 1900’s and was also known as Egoli, translated to the City of Gold. You will stay in a backpackers accommodation in the area of Braamfontein An area with a authentic vibe, where you will be surrounded by students, travelers, academics, and artists. A creative area with plenty of coffee roasters, coffee shops, restaurants, some of the trendiest fashion boutiques between modern co-working spaces, outdoor food markets, and nightlife hot spots.
Your accommodation (based on a dorm room) is included in the internship fee, and we’ll arrange it all for you! You will have free WiFi, kitchen facilities to prepare your own meals or you can use the on-site bar and restaurant. There is a large cinema room and the team leads several free activities every day.
- A passion for Hlumelelisa’s mission
- Great communication skills
- Strong spoken and written English
- A strong interest in digital media
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Bring your own laptop
The Application Process
If you’re keen on this work placement and feel that you could make a good contribution to this organization, we’d love to hear from you! Here’s what to do:
- Fill in the Application form (it will show in a slider pop-up!) and send us your CV.
- If we might have a placement available for you, we’ll chat with you on the phone or Skype to go through your application and make sure it’s a good match.
- We’ll set up a call between you and the person who would be your supervisor during the work placement.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just shoot us an email, or fill in the contact form. We’ll be happy to assist!
When can you start making an impact?
The Communications and Digital Media internship opportunities are offered throughout the year, and the start dates are flexible.
At Roots, we do everything we can to make your internship experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Johannesburg, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported.
Your exact fee depends the duration of your stay. See below for the fees for a stay at a backpackers in a shared room with self-catering facilities. If you prefer a single room, please let us know and we will check availability and prices for you.
2 months – USD 1,580
3 months – USD 2,096
4 months – USD 2,611
5 months – USD 3,126
6 months – USD 3,642
What is included in the fee?
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- Accommodation based on shared room. You will share the bathroom with your room mates and can use the kitchen facilities in the backpackers.
- Transfer from Johannesburg airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Pre-departure information
- Check-in and feedback
- Supervision and support on the ground
What is not included in the fee?
- Flights to Johannesburg
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities