Join a medical nonprofit organization as a laboratory research intern in Zimbabwe’s capital, Harare.
This is a unique opportunity to be on the frontlines of innovative research in areas such as HIV, SARS CoV2, and other viruses and to gain a wealth of practical lab experience.
You’ll join a team of scientists dedicated to public health and implementation science research in Africa. Run by experts in the field, and aided by collaboration with philanthropic and government organizations, this nonprofit has an ambitious mission of improving the health of people across the African continent. As an intern, you’ll assist with pioneering laboratory research projects, and potentially some field-based research.
This internship is suitable for students of molecular biology, sequencing, virology, immunology, microbiology, or general biology. Ideal candidates will be at Masters level and have some lab experience.
Learning outcomes of this research & development internship;
- Practical experience in scientific research in areas such as biology, virology, or immunology
- Insights into the needs of the public health sectors in Africa
- An understanding of the management and development needs of a nonprofit research institute
- International work experience
|Cape Town, South Africa|
|Facilitation, Research, Reporting, Monitoring, Education, Tree planting|
You’ll be joining Mutala Research; a nonprofit organization dedicated to public health research in Africa. It’s based in Harare, Zimbabwe’s capital, and part of the Charles River Medical Group (CRMG), a research organization established to diversify clinical trials and expand clinical research capabilities throughout the African continent. They do this by partnering with government, industry and nonprofit organizations to conduct clinical studies that advance science and improve human health – globally, but specifically focused on Africa.
As the nonprofit research component of CRMG, Mutala Research focuses on public health and implementation science research, run by experienced leaders in these areas. Recent research was focused on issues such as vaccine effectiveness, vaccine hesitancy, and adolescent HIV treatment. While the organization is still in its startup phase, it’s looking to expand its capabilities, and interns can play a vital part in this. Mutala works from laboratories in Zimbabwe’s capital Harare.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
What you’ll do
As an intern on this program, your tasks will include;
- Doing lab-based research; depending on the projects happening at the time and your academic background, this can be in molecular biology, sequencing, virology, immunology, microbiology, or general biology
- Assisting with the development of information systems
- Assisting with lab management and coordination
- Doing data analysis
- Potentially assisting with field-based public health research
- Minimum completion of 3 years in a relevant academic study
- Ideally pursuing or have completed a Masters in the relevant field
- Ideally some laboratory experience
- A flexible approach to work
- A willingness to adapt to a foreign work environment
- A passion for the work Mutala does
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You’ll stay at Small World Lodge, a friendly and relaxed accommodation in a pleasant Harare neighborhood. The lodge has a range of different rooms and a bunch of communal areas, including a bar, a restaurant, and a garden with a swimming pool. You’ll have Wifi and a laundry service you can make use of, and the lodge staff are always happy to help you arrange transport and local outings. It’s a comfortable home away from home.
DATES & RATES
Internship start and end dates are flexible and will be discussed with your during the selection process.
What you’ll pay (2023 rates)
8 weeks USD 1,504
12 weeks USD 1,908
16 weeks USD 2,312
20 weeks USD 2,715
26 weeks USD 3,422
What you are paying for:
- Accommodation based on a dorm room, if you prefer a single room, please contact us for availability and additional costs
- Airport transfers
- Wifi access
- Laundry service
- Housekeeping service
- Careful matchmaking, it takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- An orientation program with your supervisor
- Supervision and support during your internship
- Check-ins and feedback from your supervisor
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- Personal account on NexGen Careers, a career development platform that offers content & courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- Troubleshooting if needed
- Flights to Harare
- Visa, permit, and medical & travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals: if you are interested in adding on a meal package, please contact us.
- Drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Personal Development Sessions
|Research, Lab Management, Data analysis, Public Health|
|Min. 8 Weeks|
|From USD 1,504|
- Gain a wealth of practical experience in laboratory research in fields such as virology, immunology, and microbiology
- Contribute to pioneering research programs aimed at advancing public health in Africa
- Get insights into the day to day running of a health-focused nonprofit organization
- Learn from experts in your field
- Boost your resume with international work experience
HOW TO APPLY
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) which includes sharing your CV with us.
SPEAK WITH AN ADVISOR
We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you all the information you need.
We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit. Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
NEED TO MAKE AN ENQUIRY FIRST?
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form below. We’ll be happy to assist!