Academic Photography Program, Cape Town
Bring your students out on a faculty-led program that explores the role of photography in a social development context. Based in the stunning and historically fascinating city of Cape Town, you’ll learn about the different ways in which visual media can impact or shape important causes in a developing country. This academic photography program can include a study of the role of photography in both a historical and contemporary context, an exploration of image dialogue, and ethics in photography. In addition, we can include a photography course that will allow students to improve their skills and put these into practise during nonprofit photography projects, which can end with an exhibition.
To ensure maximum professional development for all students, we’ll cover all logistics, design a well-structured program, and make sure the group will be guided by local experts.
(You might also be interested in our Wildlife Photography Internship or Marketing Internship at a Photography Nonprofit in Cape Town).
- Destination Cape Town, South Africa
- Focus Areas The role of photography in social development & nonprofit photography
- Suitable for Students of Photography, Visual Media, Visual Anthropology, International Development, or related fields
- Length & Dates Fully customisable
Depending on your desired learning outcomes, this academic photography program can explore the following elements:
- The role of visual media in a South African historical and/or contemporary context
- Visual literacy and image dialogue
- The role of photography in development work
- Ethics in (nonprofit) photography
- Visualisation of social trauma in contemporary theory and practice
- The role of participatory photography workshops with youth in Cape Town
- Practical nonprofit photography projects for the students to design and execute
Our faculty-led programs are fully customised and will be adjusted according to your group’s specific academic focus, but overall, our programs will equip participants with the following:
- Understanding of the social development space in South Africa, particularly Cape Town
- Research and critical assessment skills
- An understanding of visual anthropology, as applied to the context of South Africa
- A thorough understanding of the role visual media can play in social development
- Practical experience in using photography to effectively support and create awareness for development causes
- A good understanding of (and potentially practical experience in) the photovoice method
- Improved photography skills
- Workshop facilitation skills
We’ll design the full program for you, including all logistics, so that your group can focus fully on getting the most out of the experience. We’ll provide the following:
- A fully tailor-made program according to your desired learning outcomes
- Academic guidance on the ground, where needed
- All accommodation and meals
- All on the ground projects and necessary equipment
- Airport transfers and all other transport on the ground
- An orientation program on arrival
- Any additional sightseeing trips you may wish to add
Cape Town, South Africa:
Cape Town is arguably one the most stunning cities in the world. Framed between oceans and mountains, it’s surrounded by incredible natural beauty, with Table Mountain, one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World, an absolute highlight. Cape Town is also a place of huge diversity, lively cultures, and a vibrant nightlife. Living here is dynamic and interesting, and weekends will give you a huge variety of exciting activities. You can, for instance, venture to the top of Table Mountain, visit the historic Robben Island, drive to the iconic Cape Point, or hang out on some of the many beaches. If you’re into food and design, you can also choose to visit some of the trendy markets for some culinary treats and locally designed goods. Moreover, once you venture outside of Cape Town, you’ll find gorgeous winelands and stunning National Parks that are well worth a good road trip.
We’ll provide accommodation in basic but comfortable guesthouses and lodges, in a good and safe location. There will always be team members present to ensure everyone’s comfortable.