Roots Interns partners with NGOs and small start-up companies with ethical and sustainable practices; all organizations that are adding valuable contributions to community programs, conservation efforts, or local and green economies. One of them is Penda Trust, a non-profit creating a positive impact through photography.
What is the Story behind the Start of Penda Trust?
Penda Trust came together as a collaboration between a few people with experience in both photography and the nonprofit sector. They wanted to bring together their networks of photographers, development projects, and donors to find ways of creating a positive impact through photography. Penda believes visual media is a powerful tool for raising awareness of important causes.
What is their Mission?
Penda believes in the power of photography: the power to inspire, to connect, and to do good. Their mission is achieved in three ways:
- Providing grass-roots charities with professional photographs (documenting their work so they can benefit from having these photographs)
- Hosting photography workshops for talented, young individuals in underprivileged communities – encouraging them to raise awareness about issues that matter most to them, which stimulates positive activism
- Funding & organizing expositions to present photography that would otherwise not be seen – highlighting the work of important organizations
What are the current projects of Penda Trust?
Penda Trust has a couple of exciting projects going on at the moment:
- Ibali Photo Collective: In collaboration with Dave Fisher, a Cape Town-based photographer, Penda runs photography workshops with high school students in underprivileged communities. The aim of the workshops is to teach the kids basic photography skills, encourage self-expression and creativity, and allow for the images produced to start conversations about issues that their communities are facing.
- Nonprofit Photography Services: Penda provides free professional photography to grassroots nonprofits. These organizations can use the images for their fundraising and communication purposes. Penda currently offers this in Cape Town, but they are thinking of expanding the program to other areas of South Africa as well.
- Raising Awareness through Photography: Whenever possible, Penda finds ways of bringing the right images to the attention of wider audiences, in order to raise awareness of (and encourage donations for) important development work. Currently, Penda is hosting an exhibition at Cameraland, a photography store in Cape Town, which highlights female empowerment projects. The images – all taken during their nonprofit photography program – are phenomenal and represent important causes.
What it’s like Working for Penda
Penda customizes her internships to each person’s skills and experiences, so they’re usually a combination of different tasks. This can include fundraising, communications, marketing, project coordination, and assistance with projects on the ground. They also welcome photography interns who are interested in gaining some experience in the nonprofit sector.
Penda Trust is mostly a network of photographers and volunteers. It’s a part of Penda, a social enterprise that also runs Penda Photo Tours, a photography travel company. They’re based in Cape Town, and share an office with a number of organizations, including Roots Interns.
Currently available at Penda are their Marketing Internship and Content Writing Internship. As a Marketing intern, you’ll be working on doing marketing research, developing a marketing strategy, approaching potential partners, learning about SEO, and more. Their Content Writing internship focuses on tasks like writing blogs and articles, posting on social media, writing newsletters, and more.
- Website: www.pendatrust.org / www.pendaphototours.com
- Instagram: @pendatrust / @pendaphoto
- Facebook: @pendatrust / @pendaphototours
- Twitter: @thependatrust / @PendaPhotoTours
- LinkedIn: @penda-trust / @penda-photo-tours